At the recent meeting for the Renewal of Ministry we had a great turnout and there was a number of details in respect of an updated protocol for Eucharistic Ministers and they are listed below.
The highlights are as follows:
- All Eucharistic Ministers must sign in the Log Book in the Sacristy and receive their cross which when worn distinguishes them from the congregation.
- Wait in the Sacristy and process out with the Priest, Altar Server, Reader and other Eucharistic Ministers.
- Sit in the Front Seats close to the altar (or as close as is permissable)
- After the Our Father approach the Sanctuary
- Wash your hands and wait until all other Eucharistic Ministers have washed their hands.
- All proceed to the Altar together, with an equal amount of ministers on both sides of the Altar.
- The first two to leave the Altar will head to the back of the church, the next two to the middle and then one to the side and the other for the chalice.
- As you give out the Holy Communion to the parishioner approaching you raise the host / chalice in front of them and say "The Body / Blood of Christ.
- When you are both finished return to the altar together and place your ciborium in the Tabernacle.
- When you wsh your hands again wait at the edge of the Sanctuary until all the ministers have finished.
- All Ministers return to their seats together.