The Graveyard - FINGLAS VILLAGE Annual Cemetery Mass will take place next Sunday July 28th at 4pm. There are almost a thousand people interred in the graveyard. The oldest remaining headstone is in memory of the Ryves family and dates from 1647, although earlier monuments almost certainly once existed. The southern entrance of the graveyard was known as the Catholic Entrance as funerals coming from the Barn Church (which used to stand at the southern end of Main Street) entered here. Meanwhile, the north entrance was known as the Protestant Entrance because funerals from the nearby Church of Ireland were led there. There are nine memorials in the graveyard to those who died in battle, dating from the 17th century to Irish War of Independence. One of the oldest monuments in the graveyard is dedicated to Sir Daniel Treswell who died in 1670. Among the other headstones is that of Eliza Wollstonecraft Bishop, an aunt of author Mary Byshee Shelley.